Whiskey - Wilkinson

On this page we have plenty of photographs of former Hayes players. We start with Earl Whiskey, a lanky midfielder, who joined from Kingstonian in September 1986. He had previously played for Chesham United, Wimbledon and QPR. He was with Hayes for four seasons, in which he made 90+30 appearances and scored 25 goals. In December 1989 he went on loan to Yeading and signed for the Ding in February 1990, playing in their FA Vase run up to, and including, the final at Wembley and Elland Road. He then moved to Leatherhead, but was back at Beaconsfield Road in 1992.

Darren WhiteDarren White came from Bromley early in the 1999-2000 season, having previously been at Millwall. He made his début at Forest Green and seemed to fit into the Hayes line-up at full-back and in midfield. However, against Nuneaton Borough, in his fifth outing, heDominic White blasted a shot against the bar when it seemed easier to score and lost confidence. Terry Brown released him after 6+4 appearances and the way in which he went from one club to another - from Hayes to Margate, Harrow Borough, Bromley again, and Hampton & Richmond - suggested that he failed to settle anywhere.

Dominic White was a defender, who had few chances to settle into the first team. Over two seasons, from 2003 to 2005, he made 1+3 appearances, and went to Berkhamsted Town for regular first-team football.

GF White was a goalkeeper, who came from Southall in February 1935 as a reserve fill-in behind Fred Cole when first-choice D Wallage was injured. At the start of the 1935-6 season he started as first-choice, but, after letting in 26 goals in nine matches, he was replaced by Tom Holding, returning from Leyton after two seasons, and was never selected again by Hayes. White made a total of 19 appearances.

Rob or Ronnie White (his name is reported differently by different sources) came from Windsor & Eton in October 1955, when Hayes were suffering their worst-ever start to a season. An outside-right, he made only one appearance, against Walton & Hersham, and scored a goal in a 2-3 defeat.

John Whitfield was a forward, who joined from the second Hillingdon Borough in April 1993, at the age of 24. Over two seasons he made 0+9 appearances, without scoring, and left for Ruislip Manor in August 1995.

Outside-left Idris Wilcox had the misfortune to be promoted directly from the 'A' team for the end-of-season match at Sutton United in 1962. What should have been a celebration turned into a great disappointment, as Hayes went down 0-6, and Idris was not selected again.

Chris Wild came on loan from Leyton Orient in March 2003 and played three games at centre-back. At the time he had a shaven head, but recently he has been seen with a full head of hair. He also had a prodigiously long throw. He had previously been on loan at Farnborough United in the Conference, and started with Colchester United. He subsequently played for Harlow Town, Grays Athletic, Redbridge, Heybridge Swifts, St Albans City, for whom he was sent off against Hayes, Braintree Town and Maidenhead United.

Bobby WilesEverything about Bobby Wiles poses the question “Why did he play for Hayes?” He lived at Walthamstow, where he worked as a Post Office engineer, had played for Tottenham Hotspur as a youth, including in the 1970 FA Youth Cup final against Coventry City, and had played for the Avenue for four seasons, when he joined Hayes at the age of 23 in August 1975, together with John Roseman. He was an attacking midfielder and was with Hayes for five seasons, in which he made 205+8 appearances and scored 32 goals, before joining Leytonstone Ilford in February 1980. While at Hayes he was selected for an FA XI against London University in December 1976. 

When goalkeeper Paul Gothard underwent a hernia operation in September 1999, Paul Wilkerson was signed from Slough Town as a temporary replacement. He made four appearances before Gothard returned. Wilkerson then went to Welling United and later played for Stevenage Borough and Gravesend in the Conference, before joining Lewes, for whom he played against Hayes in 2005 and 2006.

One of several Hayes players to make the grade with Brentford in the First Division in the later George Wilkins1930s, George Wilkins was a nephew of goalkeeper Tom Holding and was coached by Alf Sceeny as a boy. He went to Townfield School, where he played in the successful side which won the Blaxland Cup for Middlesex schools, together with Mickey Dowse and Frank Rees. He joined Hayes via Hayes Wasps and made his début outside-right on Easter Monday 1937 as a 16-year-old in the 5-0 victory over Leyton. By now he was employed as a lorry boy. He held his place for the final of the London Senior Cup at Upton Park in May and was a regular in the side for the 1937-8 season until he signed professional for Brentford, for whom he broke his collar bone in May 1938, playing for their junior side against Tottenham Hotspur. He had made 28 appearances for Hayes and scored nine goals. He made his début in the First Division in January 1939 and was a member of the team which won the London FA Cup at Wembley in 1942 against Portsmouth. Meanwhile, he had guested for Hayes in friendly matches at Christmas 1939, and had broken his collar bone again against Fulham in October 1941. During the war, after being turned down by the Royal Marines, he served in the Royal Kent Regiment, first of all near to London, and then he was posted to Scotland. In 1944 he represented the British Army against the Yugoslav forces at Bari, alongside Bryn Jones and Stan Cullis. After the war, he was transferred to Bradford City in 1946 for £7,000. On Boxing Day 1947 he went to Nottingham Forest for £7,500. In December 1949 he returned to Hayes as coach, while working at Fairey Aviation, and nearly played again for them, as he received FA clearance to play in the FA Cup, an open competition, against Hendon, but the Hayes committee withdrew him out of respect for the purely amateur Athenian League, and Hayes lost. In 1952 he was replaced as coach by Len Townsend, a former colleague at Hayes and Brentford, after a dispute over the team selection process, and attempted a come-back as a player in the semi-professional Kent League. In August 1953 he was reappointed in place of Townsend and continued until 1955, when former skipper Dai Brown took his place. He was offered a column in the Hayes News, which he used to undermine his successor and to reveal what was going on behind the scenes at Church Road, aided by Hayes’ worst-ever start to a season.  He was appointed coach again in 1960 (the picture above shows him with secretary George Jones), but was sacked in January 1961, when the players complained of his overrigorous training methods. By now he was the father four sons – Steve, Ray, Graham and Dean - and two daughters. Unfortunately, when Ray was selected to captain England at Wembley in October 1982, George was too ill to watch.

Steve Wilkins (middle)Only one of George’s five sons played for Hayes. Unfortunately, the best of them, Ray, had elected to sign for Chelsea and subsequently played for Manchester United, AC Milan, Paris St Germain and Glasgow Rangers. Steve Wilkins, however, who also started at Chelsea and then went to Brentford but failed to make the grade. He then played for Dagenham and Walthamstow Avenue and joined Hayes in 1980 from Ruislip Manor and spent two seasons, playing mainly in midfield. He made 100+3 appearances and scored 21 goals. He went to Chesham United in October 1982, and later played for Hendon, Farnborough Town, Ruislip Manor again, Staines Town, where his brother Dean was player-coach, and Walton & Hersham.

During the promotion season of 1995-6 and the first three seasons in the Conference, one of Hayes’ most underrated players was Darron WilkinsonDarron Wilkinson. A midfielder, he got through a lot of work, almost unnoticed. Darron had started with Wokingham Town, where he was under the tutelage of Terry Brown. He was sold to Brighton & Hove Albion in August 1992 for £20,000, but was held at 49 appearances because his club did not want to pay the extra fee to Wokingham for his 50th appearances. At the end of the 1993-4 season he was released and joined Kui Tan in Hong Kong. On his return to England he joined Hayes and fitted into a ball-winning role in midfield. Over the next four seasons he made 201+2 appearances and scored sixGordon Wilkinson goals. Darron’s goals were as rare as ostrich’s teeth, but when they came they were crucial: one against Cheltenham Town in the grudge match in April 1999 was memorable – a back-heel from two feet out. In 1998 he succeeded Andy Cox as club captain and it was a surprise when he joined Woking at the end of the season, the third captain to leave in three seasons. Later he played for Slough Town, where he once went into and faced a penalty as his first piece of action against Harrow Borough in a relegation match. It was the only goal that he conceded, but Slough went down nevertheless.

Darron’s namesake, Gordon Wilkinson, was an established centre-half, who came to Hayes from St Albans City, where he had been captain for four seasons, in August 1952. He had served in the Army in Greece, been captured in 1941 and served four years in a prisoner-of-war camp in Germany. On his return to England he joined Edgware Town and went to St Albans in 1947. He joined Hayes as an eventual replacement for Frank Bridges, who had been sent to Malta with the Royal Navy. A strong and fearless defender, he was particularly strong in the air – at 6ft he was tall for the time. He became very popular with his colleagues and the fans and made 49 appearances for Hayes before leaving for Wealdstone in early 1954, when Bridges returned. He later played for Leyton for several seasons.

They also played.......
Ian Whitby
A White
D White
E A White
H White
G Wiggins
J Wilkinson

Go back to A to Z Home page

Go back to W

Go forward to next screen